Australia is a very popular destination for international students. However, finding the best course for your needs and knowing how to satisfy the visa criteria can be challenging without professional help.
For example, if your goal is to study in Australia so that after your studies you can remain in Australia to work, you will need help choosing the right course to achieve this.
Why Study and Live in Australia?
Let's start with a list of some of the benefits of living in Australia:
- Voted best cities in the world - According to the annual Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2019 rankings, Australian cities - Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide are within the top 10 most liveable cities in the world.
- Multiculturalism - Australia is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. This makes Australia a much easier place to make friends than other countries. It also means you will find the people interested in you and your culture.
- Safe country - Australia is a safe and peaceful place to live. Compared to other countries, Australia has a very low crime rate and strict gun control laws.
- Job opportunities - Australia has better job opportunities than many other developed countries. There are work opportunities in many industries.
- Great education- Australia has 7 of the top 100 universities in the world. This education is recognised in many places outside of Australia.
- Democracy - Australia is a democracy that like America embraces the individual right to pursue happiness.
- Personal freedom - There is equality in sex, race, sexual preference etc.
- Healthcare - Australia has free public healthcare.
- Social welfare - If citizens encounter hard times or bad luck then the Australian government provides money to help you back on track.
- Low population density - Roughly the size of the USA, Australia has a low density population with only 25 million people. This means your living spaces are generally larger and the quality of your life higher.
- Economic climate - Australia currently is the world's 11th largest economy. Australia also has a high minimum wage and a great standard of living.
- Public transport - All Australian capital cities have great public transport.
- Climate - Australia enjoys great weather all year round.
- Nature, wildlife & destinations - Australia is truly a spectacular country with amazing natural beauty, wildlife and some of the best holiday destinations in the world ranging from the Great Barrier Reef to mountains and ski fields. to incredible city beaches.
- Fresh air & water - Australia experiences some of the cleanest air to breathe in the world & you can drink water from the tap!
- Earn while you learn - while studying, students can work for up to 20 hours per week during the semester to offset the cost of studying and depending on the job, save some money to create a better future after studying. Students may work full-time outside of the study semester.
International students can study at all levels of education in Australia:
- Primary and secondary school
- English language courses
- Vocational education and training (VET)
- Higher education (Universities)
All Australian education courses available to international students can be found on this link
Students on a Student visa (subclass 500) are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during the study semester and on a full time basis outside of the semester period.
Some students desire to study in Australia, be awarded globally recognised qualifications and then leave Australia. Other students have the desire to study in Australia, gain world recognised qualifications and then stay in Australia to work and live.
The completion of education courses allows some students to be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) to then stay and work in Australia for up to 4 years.
The 485 Graduate Visa have 2 streams:
- Post study work stream (If you have completed a bachelor's degree or higher level)
- Graduate work stream (If your occupation is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List - MLTSSL) – The Combined List can be found on this link
With the right immigration legal advice, students who have completed the 485 Graduate Visa, will then have further visa options to remain and work in Australia including options which may lead to permanent residency.
Why use Visa & Citizenship Lawyers?
Our team at Visa & Citizenship Lawyers consists of registered Australian education agents and migration agents, and Immigration Lawyers. We are fully qualified and experienced to help you study and/or work in Australia.
At Visa & Citizenship Lawyers, we have a 3-step system in place for our student visa program:
- Listen to you: What you are interested in studying; What are your long-term goals (eg do you wish to work in Australia after your student visa?); We then find the right education course for you and suggest a visa pathway;
- We deal with education providers directly and enrol you in the right course for you;
- We guide you through the visa process and draft up supporting documentation that is submitted with your visa application to ensure that your strongest application is put forward giving you the best chance of a visa approval.